Friday, February 11, 2011

Our Exchange Student

We recently hosted a foreign exchange student from Turkey.
(I'm sure he's from Turkey.)
(Even though his t-shirt says "Germany".)
He went to school with Alex.
He toured famous sites that make our city unique.
And he also went to other parts of our state like
Universal Studios and Cape Canaveral.
It truly was a good experience.
One that I would do again.
I have always been impressed by how many languages a person can speak.
And our student from Turkey was no exception.
He knew several.
When I expressed an interest in learning another language
my son Alex spoke up quickly and said,
"After a certain age it is harder for a person to master another language."
I stared at him with an open mouth.
What?
I thought, "Does he consider me a "certain age"?"
And I immediately thought: DON'T ASK.
I then tried to think of some witty, well-researched rebuttal.
(Because only well-researched will do.)
And since nothing came to mind, my only recourse was to say,
"Watch it mister, or there will be no pie for you."
I know.
It doesn't make sense.
But with a warm from the oven chocolate pecan pie sitting on the stove
permeatting the air with it's tempting aroma at my disposal
I knew immediately it was my best weapon.
~ ~ ~
Teenagers.
Ya gotta let them know when they've crossed the line.

No comments: