Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Bananas! (or why I can't buy a Hallmark card with a raccoon on it)

After three failed attempts, and 15 plus years,
we finally have bananas!
I actually squealed with delight when I caught sight of the bunch!
Now I hope we get to eat them.
Like the T-shirt says: 
I'm not a pessimist, just an optimist with experience.
You see, we have several fruit trees on our property.
And when they have ripe fruit.....
we are not the only ones who want to eat it.
The local nightlife, raccoons and opossums mainly,
have cleaned us out many times.
In fact, for the last 3 years that our peach tree bore fruit,
we never tasted a one.
No, not a one.
And because of these farm life experiences,
I cannot bring myself to buy a Hallmark card with a raccoon on it.
Or a mouse, for that matter.
They are not cute no matter how they have been drawn.
I will go so far as to surmise
that no farmer has ever bought a card with a raccoon on it.
Can you imagine Laura Ingalls' mother
in Little House on the Prairie buying such a card? 
No, of course not. 
The same animal that ate her corn, killed her chickens
and then washed his hands in her water trough!
I think not.
And, granted, Hallmark wasn't around then, either.
But I imagine she would have rather shot him!
Not Mr. Hallmark.
I speak of the raccoon.
She would have shot the raccoon!
~ ~ ~
Ahem.
Well. 
I think it might be time to settle down,
and get back to making a joyful noise.
Psalm 100:1
I'm still squealing with delight for bananas!
(And hoping to taste them soon.)

No comments: