Friday, November 30, 2012

Great Horned Owl


For months we have been hearing an owl "hoot" on our property.
We have tried and tried to locate the owl so we could identify it.
We learned that there are only 4 owls that call Florida home
and they can be identified by their call.
But, we hadn't learned the different calls yet.


Then one day as I remarked to Ranae that I heard the call again,
she became determined to find him.
And she did.


She was able to spot him as he swooped to another branch.
Now, my binoculars are more magnified than my camera lens
but you may be able to spot him in this picture.
He was so big.
I was so surprised.
It was a Great Horned Owl!
He had some fierce looking orange feathered "horns".
And he was looking straight at my chickens.
Yes he was.
And I don't wish him any luck on that front.
But I do love so much that my children are able to see all
these wonderful creatures that God made, 
right in our own backyard.

No comments: