Saturday, April 12, 2014

Mock Trial


Alex's (second from right) Yale team was invited and competed in the
National Mock Trial Competition held in Orlando.
He has spent a lot of free time the last three years doing this "for fun".

Brian and I got to go watch the proceedings.
Sarah came to, but she mainly watched my Ipad:-)

I was so struck by the whole event.
The "reverence" displayed in the courtroom 
and the "honor" given to the judge
seemed to suggest holy ground.
The silence imposed on everyone in the room was respectful and fearful.
The way they stood for the judge suggested his extreme power.
150 years ago I would have thought I was in church,
and the pope was present!

I realize that up to today my experience in a courtroom was nil.
This was my first time. 
(And that's a good thing, right?)
But I wonder..........
If we are not in church and the Bible isn't our law, 
then the law of the land alone governs our life.
And the courtroom is our "church" and the judge our "king".
Is this where our only hope for justice resides?
Is this our only sanctuary?

I respect our court system in America.
I'm so thankful for it.
I don't believe it's better anywhere else in the world.
In fact, if I ever have to be on trial, I hope and pray it's in America.
And if I get to pick my counsel, I want it to be one of these kids.
But I will bring my bible.
The hope in its pages fill my heart like nothing else.   

No comments: