Thursday, March 27, 2008

Snake in the barn.

Spring gets all the animals, domesticated or not, moving on our farm. The birds are nesting, our new baby goats are skipping in the pasture and the snakes are out and about too. It just so happens that today one snake decided that the goat stall would be a great place to camp out. I wasn't aware that he was there at first as I went about my evening routine of feeding animals and bedding them down for the night. But once he got my attention I knew that I couldn't leave two baby goats and their mother in the barn stall all night with a snake!

I
couldn't determine if he was poisonous or not and decided that if I could just get him to leave that would be good enough for me. Armed with a rake and tall boots I spent several minutes convincing him that he wanted to take a walk outside and far away from the barn. I guess he was lucky. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and let him live. The good snakes are such a great assest to a farm. They keep down the mice and rats and eat bad snakes too. Plus they make great food for hawks and other birds.

No comments: