Friday, March 14, 2008

Vulture on the Front Porch

So what could it mean to see a vulture on the railing of your front porch?
It made me stop in my tracks this afternoon as I walked past the front door with a pile of dirty laundry and casually looked out. Staring back at me was a full grown turkey vulture. I don't recall ever seeing one this close before so I pressed my face to the glass to get a better look. He was accompanied by a small swarm of pesky flies and his beak kept opening and closing as if he was still chewing - or was he smelling something? Has something run under the front porch and died?
Note to self: Find time today to stand on the front porch and smell for something dead.
I fed all the farm animals this morning and everyone was accounted for and fine so I can only hope that the vulture was just sitting a spell and not staying for dinner.

No comments: