Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Spring is in the air.

Well, the vultures are gone and thankfully there does not seem to be anything under the porch they would be coming back for. Good Riddance! I know everyone has to eat - but vultures hanging out on the front porch is more than a little creepy.
I was thrilled this morning when I saw hawks in a pine tree by the barn. Last year they nested in one of our old pine trees and I was hoping they would come back this year. I was startled by them this morning as I came out of the barn holding two flakes of hay to feed the goats. They were mating in a pine branch just a few feet from my head! I froze, not wanting to disturb them, and a little embarrassed to watch. I will be looking for downy chick heads peaking out from their nest in a month - give or take a few days.