Saturday, April 9, 2011

THE EGGS ARE HERE !


Today is a great day!
It's the day I have been waiting for.
We are going to try and hatch chickens!
I have wanted chickens
since I was a young girl on my grandmother's farm gathering eggs.
I have wanted chickens
since we moved to this small farm over 13 years ago.
I have wanted chickens
since it takes a dozen eggs and a slab of bacon to feed my crew breakfast.

When I opened the box it wasn't all pretty.
I ordered 40 and they sent me 48.
Which was a good thing because the nine pictured here are broken.
I ordered "the rarest of the rare breeds".
That means we don't know what we're gonna get!
(That reminds me of Forest Gump and his box of chocolates.)
Anyway...

This is our incubator.
Our 4-H club built these out of boxes.
We found an internet site that explained in detail how to make them.
It is the cheapest way to make an incubator yourself.
As for success.....that remains to be seen.

Most hatcheries have a 70 - 80 percent hatch rate.
This incubator should give us a 50 percent hatch rate.
And since our egg box had a rough time while being delivered...
I'm just hoping we get one to hatch.
Can't you just hear the pitter-patter of little chicken feet?!
I've got my fingers crossed.....21 days to chicken hatch.....
and counting.....

No comments: