Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Farm Visit

Today was the annual farm visit
from our neighborhood preschool.
I had 62 children, 8 teachers and several parents visit!
They all got to meet the horse, hold a baby goat,
say hello to the rabbit, and pet a chicken.
I enjoy the visit so much every year.
The kids are adorable, full of smiles and love to see the animals.
They also make me laugh.......at myself.
~ ~ ~
Like this year, when I was talking about chickens.
 I asked the kids, while holding a watermelon rind,
if they liked to eat watermelon.
They all answered, "Yes!".
Then I asked if chickens like to eat watermelon.
They didn't quite know what to say and just looked at me.
 I then told them that chickens love to peck at watermelon rind
and then I preceded to put some in the chicken yard.
A little while later I asked if there were any questions
and a cute 4 year old boy raised his hand and asked,
"Do chickens like to eat grass?"
Before I could answer the cute 4 year old girl sitting next to him
elbowed him in the side and said,
"Chickens eat watermelon, silly!"
~ ~ ~
So this year I realized I may have to improve the information
I relate to the children about chickens.
Yes chickens eat grass and grain and bugs and lizards and vegetable and fruits.......including watermelon!

Until next year.....

No comments: