Sunday, November 14, 2010

Piano Recital




Today was our piano recital at an "Assisted Living Facility".
Ranae, Kevin and Alex played for the crowd,
along with many other piano students from several studios.
As I was listening to the music and looking over the audience,
I began to wonder why we call it an "Assisted Living Facility".
When I was growing up we called it an "Old Folks Home".
And when I closely examined those two different titles,
I found I preferred the later.
First of all, who would want to live in a "facility".
I would much rather live in a "home".
And hey, they're old.
The people that is.
There's no getting around that.
I'm just calling it like I see it.
And the term "Folk" kind of sounds endearing to me.
Like ya know, "The good folk that live next door".
Or like, "My folks want me to go to college".
I mean, why did we change the name?
Who gets to decide this stuff anyway?

No comments: